Research shows that Tylenol with codeine is an effective medication for pain. It can be used when the pain is mild up to severe. Usually, you will use this treatment when you have a headache, painful menstruation, muscle pain, dental pain, and even pain that you can get from an accident or operations.
This medicine is round and white. It is highly advised that you keep somewhere with a temperature between 20 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius. Also, you might not easily find this kind of tablet as it comes off in different names.
In addition, it contains other ingredients like starch NF, cellulose, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, and microcrystalline cellulose.
Continue reading this article to know more about this medicine.
Tylenol with Codeine Dosage
It is important to note that the dosage that you should take will depend on your condition. Which is why you should consult your doctor first before buying. Doctors advise that you take this medicine 4 times a day.
Make sure that you get the right prescription to avoid over dosage. Adults might be advised not to take more than 60 mg to avoid analgesia and other side effects.
Possible side effects
As mentioned, there can be side effects when you take too much of this medicine. This includes the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Allergic reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Respiratory depression
In addition, codeine can result in drug independence which can be abused if not monitored properly. In worse cases, you can end up giving you psychological and physical dependence.
You should be wary, though, that the medicine can give you bigger complications. Codeine can give you respiratory depressant effects when you have lesions or head injury. You may also have other effects including drowsiness and acute abdominal conditions. This is why it is highly recommended that you do not extend the use of this medicine.
Precautions to take note
Codeine is not just a simple ingredient. In fact, it contains other ingredients that might give you great harm. Lucky for you, there are different precautions that you should remember to be sure that you are safe from its possible causes. Take note of the following:
- Codeine can be an ultra-rapid metabolizer. This is why you should remember that if you insist on buying this medication, be sure that you buy a low dosage and use it only in a short period of time.
- Do not forget to have a regular check-up. You can do therapy or laboratory tests to monitor your condition.
- Pregnant women should avoid taking this medicine especially when they are close to giving birth. This is because the medicine can give the child respiratory depression. Also, the medicine can give the child other ailments such as later growth, functional maturation, and development.
- Codeine can be secreted to human milk. So if you are pregnant and you are taking this medicine, cases are your milk will contain codeine. However, when the child drinks your milk, he or she can have complications including death.
- For those who are 12 years and older, take only one medicine every 4 to 6 hours. In case it did not work, you can take two tablets the next time.
- The maximum number of medicines that you can take is 12 tablets within 24 hours. If you fail to follow this, you might end up getting health complications.
- The medicine should take effect after 5 days. If the pain is still there, immediately call your doctor.
- Do not take a double dose if you missed one schedule.
- Do not dispose of the medicine in warm water. Remember to ask your doctor how to properly dispose of the medicine if needed.
Who are not allowed to take this medication?
Considering the many possible complications and risks that may be connected with this medication, you need to be aware if you can take this medication or not. Below is the list of people who should not take this pill at all:
- Children 12 years old and younger
- Those who have caffeine, codeine, and acetaminophen allergies.
- People who just got their tonsils removed
- Those who have asthma and other airway diseases
- Those with respiratory depression
- People who have a convulsive disorder
- Those with a reduced liver and kidney function
- Patients who just had a monoamine oxidase inhibitor intake within the last 14 days
- Those who have an abdominal condition
- Those who have a brain tumor or any head injury
Overall, Tylenol with codeine can be a great medication if you feel intense pain in any part of your body. But while it can be a good treatment for your body, it comes with various side effects which can be harmful to your body or even your baby’s body if you are pregnant.
This is why it is very crucial that you take note of the mentioned precautions and be sure that you are not listed to those people who should not take the medicine. Even better, always listen to the instructions of your doctor.
What the doctor might tell other patients, might be different in your case. So do not rely on the prescription of others. Also, do not just buy the medicine if you feel your body aching. Always have a diagnostic first and consult with your doctor before taking any pills. This way, the doctor can check if you are qualified for the medicine.
Once the doctor approves that you can take the medicine, the next thing that you should take note is not to overdose. Always follow the schedule on when you should take the medicine. In case you miss it, do not drink two medicines at a time and just wait for the next schedule.
Lastly, the medicine should have an effect after five days. If your body continues to ache, consult your doctor right away.